The government held a meeting of the Government Council on Thursday, 24 Rabi' Al-Akhir 1445, corresponding to November 9, 2023, under the presidency of Mr. Aziz Akhannouch, the Head of the Government. The meeting focused on a sectoral presentation, deliberations on several legal text projects, the examination of international agreements, and discussions on proposals for appointments to high-level positions in accordance with Article 92 of the Constitution.
At the beginning of its proceedings, the Government Council received a presentation on the review of the national reports, constituting the 19th, 20th, and 21st reports, related to the implementation of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, delivered by the Minister of Justice, Abdellatif Ouahbi.
The presentation focused on the Kingdom of Morocco's interaction with UN human rights mechanisms during the years 2022 and 2023, highlighting the sustained pace and positive outcomes, as discussed in the Government Council held on June 22, 2023. In this context, the minister reiterated Morocco's commitment to preparing periodic reports on the implementation of recommendations resulting from these interactions. This commitment is overseen by the interministerial delegation for human rights, which is actively developing a work program to monitor the implementation of all these recommendations.
The Minister of Justice also emphasized that the submission and examination of national reports by UN human rights mechanisms will maintain the same high pace. He recalled that the upcoming review of the combined reports 19, 20, and 21 concerning the implementation of the International Convention to Combat All Forms of Discrimination by the relevant UN committee is scheduled for November 22 and 23.
Regarding the celebration of the 75th anniversary of the adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the minister announced that Morocco will host two significant events. The first event is the Regional Summit on the role of security institutions in preventing torture, in partnership with the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights. The second event involves the official launch of the Arab Plan for Human Rights Education.
- The Government Council has reviewed and adopted bill No. 56.23, repealing Article 43 of Law No. 19.94 concerning export processing zones, presented by the Minister of Industry and Commerce, Ryad Mezzour.
- The Government Council has reviewed and adopted decree No. 2.23.804, which amends and supplements decree No. 2.17.408 of Dhou Al Qida 11, 1438 (August 4, 2017), defining the conditions for the disbursement of scholarships to trainees in profesional training institutions, presented by the Minister of Economic Inclusion, Small Business, Employment, and Skills, Younes Sekkouri.
- Subsequently, the Government Council has reviewed and adopted decree No. 2.23.151 concerning the protection of workers, the public, and the environment against ionizing radiation, presented by the Minister of Energy Transition and Sustainable Development, Leila Benali.
- The Government Council also approved draft decree No. 2.23.951 establishing the National Commission for Digital Development, presented by the Minister Delegate to the Head of Government in charge of digital transition and administrative reform, Ms. Ghita Mezzour, taking into account the observations made.
Next, the Government Council was briefed on the international agreements presented by the Minister Delegate for Relations with Parliament, Government Spokesperson, Mustapha Baitas, on behalf of the Minister of Foreign Affairs, African Cooperation, and Expatraits, Nasser Bourita. These agreements include:
- An agreement on mutual administrative assistance in customs matters between the government of the Kingdom of Morocco and the government of Burkina Faso, signed on June 9th in Dakhla, along with draft law No. 37.23 approving the said agreement.
- A convention on the transfer of sentenced persons between the government of the Kingdom of Morocco and the government of Burkina Faso, signed on June 9th in Dakhla, and draft law No. 38.23 approving the said convention.
The Government Council approved proposals for appointments to high-level positions in accordance with Article 92 of the Constitution :
- In the Ministry of Economy and Finance - Customs and Indirect Taxes Administration :
- Mr. Lhassan Hallou has been appointed Director of Facilitation and IT ;
- In the Ministry of Youth, Culture, and Communication - Department of Youth:
- Mr. Mohamed Ouzzian has been appointed Head of the Directorate of Cooperation, Communication, and Legal Studies;
- In the Ministry of National Planning, Urbanism, Housing, and City Policy - Department of National Planning and Urbanism :
- Mr. Abdellah Sakouni has been appointed Director of the Urban Agency of Ouarzazate-Zagora-Tinghir;
- In the Ministry of Higher Education, Scientific Research, and Innovation :
- Mr. Omar Bouattane as the Director of the Higher Normal School of Technical Education (ENSET)-Mohammadia;
- Mr. Abdelmajid Farchi as the Dean of the Faculty of Sciences and Techniques (FST)-Settat.